- Caol Ila – 3/5
- Kilchoman – the surprise of the trip! 5/5
- Ardbeg – 2/5
- Lagavulin – 3/5
- Laphroaig – 5/5
Things I learned:
- Islay is pronounced “eye-lah.”
- About 3000 live on the island.
- The whisky industry dried up in the 1980s and Islay had a really hard time.
- To curb drunk driving, the distilleries have little takeaway containers called Driver’s Drams so that the designated driver can enjoy them later!
- All the distilleries but Kilchoman are owned by global beverage corporations.
- Kilchoman has a secret billionaire backer that might be from London (this is a bad thing).
- “Walking up a hill” really means hiking up a mountain.
If a picture is worth 1000 words, a video is worth, like a billion, right? Just watch the video and tell me something that’s on your bucket list, because I just marked this off mine!